Friday, March 30, 2007
I Woke Up In New York City; Please Write My Folks and Throw Away My Keys
Scritto da Point Dexter alle 2:39 PM
I need a new wireless card. The one I'm using now has pms. The slightest hint of an insult will set it off on a bloody rampage. I should give it some Midol.



Have you ever been to New York City? I swear, the pedestrians there are nicer than the ones here in Wisconsin. When I was lost in New York City, staring at my map and all, random people would stop and ask me if I needed help. Of course I'd always say no. It's more of an adventure that way. Ha. But still, the idea that a stranger was nice enough to offer me help was in fact memorable. I suppose the people here aren't so mean. They just don't care. Actually, its one thing I especially liked about NYC. Customer service and all, nobody cares. I like that the store clerk isn't nosing into my business. I mean, when you go to a restaurant and your waiter or waitress asks you how you are doing, they don't really care. Why pretend? I don't. I'm a waitress.
I guess the main reason I'm bringing this up is because today I had so many "walk by" conversations. The classic (keep in mind you are walking the entire time):
Nicole: "Hi stranger!"
Acquaintance: "Hi, how are you?"
Nicole: "Good, how..."
By that time its too late to continue the conversation. They're well on their way, and you're off on yours. It's so insensitive. I mean, those aren't conversations you'll remember and think back to in weeks to come, or the next time you talk to them. I think next time I'll try out a theory of mine and switch it up a bit.
Nicole: "Hi stranger!"
Acquaintance: "Hi, how are you?"
Nicole: "I put pickles in my Mountain Dew!"
Hopefully that'll make them stop. Or ponder about what I said the rest of the afternoon.
|
Have you ever been to New York City? I swear, the pedestrians there are nicer than the ones here in Wisconsin. When I was lost in New York City, staring at my map and all, random people would stop and ask me if I needed help. Of course I'd always say no. It's more of an adventure that way. Ha. But still, the idea that a stranger was nice enough to offer me help was in fact memorable. I suppose the people here aren't so mean. They just don't care. Actually, its one thing I especially liked about NYC. Customer service and all, nobody cares. I like that the store clerk isn't nosing into my business. I mean, when you go to a restaurant and your waiter or waitress asks you how you are doing, they don't really care. Why pretend? I don't. I'm a waitress.
I guess the main reason I'm bringing this up is because today I had so many "walk by" conversations. The classic (keep in mind you are walking the entire time):
Nicole: "Hi stranger!"
Acquaintance: "Hi, how are you?"
Nicole: "Good, how..."
By that time its too late to continue the conversation. They're well on their way, and you're off on yours. It's so insensitive. I mean, those aren't conversations you'll remember and think back to in weeks to come, or the next time you talk to them. I think next time I'll try out a theory of mine and switch it up a bit.
Nicole: "Hi stranger!"
Acquaintance: "Hi, how are you?"
Nicole: "I put pickles in my Mountain Dew!"
Hopefully that'll make them stop. Or ponder about what I said the rest of the afternoon.