Tuesday, January 8, 2008
boys, yards & something about milkshakes
Scritto da Point Dexter alle 3:27 PM
Remember my magic kiss?His birthday was the other night.
I stopped by the bar to make an appearance.
As usual, I was fashionably late. I flicked my cigarette butt near the curb and stepped inside. Not a lot happening on a week night. I glanced around and finally spotted their table. The birthday boy, my old roommate, and HOLY FUCKING SHIT - why didn't anyone tell me?
The young man who I thought I would be with for the rest of my life was sitting next to the birthday boy.
Silly adolescent dreams. We were together for three years. He was my first real relationship. My first love. My first lover.
Lo and behold there he sat, lips pressed against a Heineken bottle, smelling and looking as good as ever.
Unfortunately he was the one who broke it off. He fell out of love with me, and found someone else, "a better version of me," as he put it.
At the time I was devastated. I drowned myself in my own self-pity and sunk deeper and deeper into my little pity hole. I eventually recovered after many nights of horrible date movies and ice cream.
I've learned all about exercise and beauty products since then. Thank goodness I had spent the extra half hour perfecting my look that evening.
I secretly hoped he would confess his undying love for me so I could turn him down while the entire bar pointed and laughed at him, but the stars weren't aligned for me that night.
The conversation flowed along side the drinks. We laughed until our guts hurt, we toasted to our futures, and by the end of the night, we were all having a good time.
I am completely over him. Not that I've been thinking about him at all, but it was good to finally feel it.
We experienced one of those break ups I'll hopefully never experience again. I buried myself deep into a dead end relationship, and when the inevitable happened, I crashed. I've learned so much since then, and now I look back and see the wonderful times we had together.
Life is good.
Know what else is good? I splurged and purchased the Dwight Bobblehead today.
Be jealous!