Saturday, May 31, 2008
Who is This Man?
Scritto da Point Dexter alle 8:26 AM

John Cage, meet the world.
World, meet John Cage.

Happy to make the introduction.

If you don't recognize the name, John Cage is one of the most non-traditional and experimental American composers of the twentieth century. His most famous work is titled 4'33''.
See the following video to see a performance.

Many of his music compositions look more like works of art than sheet music.
His philosophy: Music was never meant to be restricted.

Lately, I've had John Cage on the brain. I'm ending one long chapter of my life and beginning another. I had my last radio show on Friday. I first became a member of WRST in 2004. I was fortunate enough to work with wonderful, talented people, one in particular who greatly influenced me to change my major to pursue my passions.

If it weren't for him, I probably
would have been a Nursing Major.
He retired this year and ended a chapter of his life as well.
Congratulations big guy. We made it!

One of the first bars where I really felt at home is closing. Each Sunday a group of us attended a musical performance called Jazz Orgy. A group of amazingly gifted jazz musicians would gather in this simple bar and play near the front door. When you enter, you walk right passed the musicians. They nod and smile and wave if they can, recognizing your familiar face.

During their second set, they let the audience take the stage. I have seen professors, local artists, music majors, even close friends jam with the guys each and every Sunday night. Surrounded by friends who practically became family, Matt and I spent many nights getting to know one another in the smoky jazz lounge. To the musicians and fans, it feels almost like we've lost a family member.

Nonetheless, a lot of change. What's next?

If I were a musical note, where do I belong on the page?

I have been scanning job openings across the North American landscape. From Austin, TX to Vancouver, BC, who knows where this girl will end up.

I'm taking a lesson from John Cage. I just can't look at things in a straight line. Life never comes to us in an organized, logical way. What will be, will be.

That's the best I can do.


John Cage's 4'33''
|
<$BlogPager$>

Me

I'm an idealist and a dreamer and I don't know if there is a real difference between the two. I'm a girl who gets along with the guys. I'm a thrifter. I don't understand the point of electoral college. I'm a lover. I have many bad habits, none of which I'm ready to let go of. I'm a raver. I'm a creator. I love people, places, art, beauty. I hate people, places, art, beauty. I'm a hypocrite.


yvette
Contact Me

blogger
facebook
Credits

ArancioGrafica