Thursday, July 24, 2008
Unexpurgated
Scritto da Point Dexter alle 1:51 AM
I've found some free time lately. I used the opportunity to relax and treat myself (i.e. doing nothing productive). It's been therapeutic, but I felt a little guilty. So today I revisited one of my favorite places in the city. Full of resources, comfy chairs, and the occasional whiff of body odor. The library never disappoints. Today a fire alarm had gone off across the street. The street bustled with white collar men and women dressed in suit coats. Some clutched important documents under their arms as if their lives depended on it (I would have grabbed my iPod). I was surprised to witness the controversial man purse on several occasions. Astonishing.
I rode carefully amongst the churning sea of people until I could park. I love it when the meter still has minutes remaining.
The point to this story is coming, I promise.
I searched for the top book on my list, William Shatner's autobiography, only to find it was checked out, with a long list of other readers itching to read his book. Good sign. I decided to scan the DVD section. Always a good plan B.
And it was in the entertainment section I found this gem. "DEVO: Unexpurgated". At first, you may not realize who or what DEVO is. Some of their song titles include "That's Good," and a personal favorite of mine, "Peek-a-Boo." However fantastic, these tracks do not compare to DEVO's legendary "WHIP IT." Yes, whip it...whip it good. DEVO, the forgotten one hit wonder band of the 80's. One of many (Flock of Seagulls...).
The DVD is brilliant. Imagine the B-52's on Acid. Videos full of green screen effects partnered with synth sounds. I dig it.
It's made me wonder what the library could do if I happened to leave for Denver with it packed safely in my luggage.
Oh DEVO, stop it. You're making me blush.
Proud to have been born in the 80's,
N
P.S. Miss you Pete.
|
I rode carefully amongst the churning sea of people until I could park. I love it when the meter still has minutes remaining.
The point to this story is coming, I promise.
I searched for the top book on my list, William Shatner's autobiography, only to find it was checked out, with a long list of other readers itching to read his book. Good sign. I decided to scan the DVD section. Always a good plan B.
And it was in the entertainment section I found this gem. "DEVO: Unexpurgated". At first, you may not realize who or what DEVO is. Some of their song titles include "That's Good," and a personal favorite of mine, "Peek-a-Boo." However fantastic, these tracks do not compare to DEVO's legendary "WHIP IT." Yes, whip it...whip it good. DEVO, the forgotten one hit wonder band of the 80's. One of many (Flock of Seagulls...).
The DVD is brilliant. Imagine the B-52's on Acid. Videos full of green screen effects partnered with synth sounds. I dig it.
It's made me wonder what the library could do if I happened to leave for Denver with it packed safely in my luggage.
Oh DEVO, stop it. You're making me blush.
Proud to have been born in the 80's,
N
P.S. Miss you Pete.